Thursday, November 27, 2008

How to Name Your Cabin

Julie, the dogs, and I are spending Thanksgiving weekend in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia. We're renting a cabin in a community called "My Mountain".

We've been coming up here for several years and have rented many cabins. I've noticed a constant; people like to name their second homes the same way people like to name their sailboats. The cabin we are renting is called "Round the Bend". Walking the dogs, I've seen neighboring cabins called "Sunrise", "Bear Necessity", "Living the Dream", and "Almost Heaven".

We have two friends who have recently bought North Georgia cabins. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they too erect a sign which informs the world the name of their cabin.

Don't get me wrong, I think naming a cabin is cool. Until 10 minutes ago, the working name of our fictitious cabin was "Justice League Headquarters", named after the fabled superhero hangout from the classic DC Comic Saturday morning cartoon "Superfriends" . Julie just informed me that she now thinks the name "Galactica" or "Battle Star Galactica" would be better.

I only offer this advice: Before you invest in the sign, "Google" it first. Don't make the same mistake's the Gordon's from Brandon, FL made naming their cabin "Eagle's Nest". The name has already been used by someone. Click here to find out who!

1 comment:

Traci said...

Oh yes, this task is coming... It might require an evening of dinner and wine ;)