1 Tbs. corn or peanut oil
4 boned chicken thighs, skinned and cut into 1/2" cubes (about 1lb)
1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. flour
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup buttermilk
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
2 tsp. low-sodium tomato paste
8 6-inch flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. In a heavy 10-inch skillet, heat the corn oil over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside -- about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion and garlic, uncovered, until soft -- about 5 minutes. Blend in the flour, chili powder, and cumin, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, buttermilk, chilies, and tomato paste. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return the chicken to the skillet and stir.
- Place a scant 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on the lower third of each tortilla, and roll it up like a cigar. Place seam side down in an ungreased 13"x9"x2" baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered for 5 minutes.